Friday 30 August 2013

Lego Review - Legends of Chima - CHI Worriz


Set: 70204 CHI Worriz

RRP: $22.99

Pieces: 55

Build Time: around 15 min

Package photo courtesy of Brickipedia


The Background

I haven’t been particularly interested in the Legends of Chima theme so far. Debuted earlier this year, the storyline centres around several groups of anthropomorphic animals battling one another for control of “Chi”, a mystical energy source that borrows a little (but not too much, from what I can tell) from its martial arts namesake.
Package photo courtesy of Brickipedia (http://lego.wikia.com)

It’s not a bad premise, but the creatures look a little too cartoony for my tastes, and it annoys me that the Wolves are one of villainous factions (though I do like that the Lions are good guys). Also, I wasn’t really sold on the ripcord racer gimmick.

Nonetheless, some of the sets have been quite impressive, particularly after the first wave. The Lion CHI Temple (70010) is exceptionally striking. Still, it wasn’t until I saw that a series of Ultrabuild figures had been released, that I got interested. A giant wolfman? It would be pretty difficult for this to go wrong.   

Friends who know me will attest to my obsessive love of wolves and wolf-related merchandise – in fact, I’d say at least 90% of the appeal of this set lies in the fact that he looks much like a gigantic werewolf warrior. 

 

The Werewolf Warrior strikes a majestic pose atop the iPad
 
Naturally, werewolves are my favourite monster from folklore. Traditionally they tend to be depicted as evil, though I tend to think of them in a different fashion, typically as good guys, rather than villains of the night. Zombies and skeletons, though? Generally, not so much…
Officially, this guy’s name is “Worriz”, but I don’t much care for it. He looks too tough to have a name that rhymes with “Morris.” Nonetheless, I don’t think I’ll call him “Grimripper” or anything else that sounds like it could have come out of a 90s Image Comic (as entertaining as some of them were). Though it’s not particularly creative, I think “Werewolf” will do sufficiently well for the time.
The Build
I haven’t previously owned any Ultrabuild figurines. I remember the original Bionicle series impressing me all the way back in 2001 on first release, but of course I was in high school then and owning something like that would have been ridiculously “uncool.” More than a decade later, I don’t feel the same kind of concern. As C.S. Lewis once said, “When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” Whether the creator of Narnia and famous Christian apologist would have approved of adult collections of Lego is of course open for debate.    
I digress. I was pleased at how quickly I built him, considering I hadn’t built one of these before, but also a little disappointed that it was as easy as it was. Nonetheless, I like the concept of a DIY action figure, which is essentially what these Ultrabuild figures are.
Werewolf’s articulation is pretty good; the balljoints at each point of articulation allow a good range of motion, and it’s pretty easy to get him into some cool poses. However, I did find that his shoulder spikes do interfere a little with certain arm movements, as do the size of his paws.  While these might be more serious issues for those looking to play with their figures, if you’re looking at him as more of a display piece, it’s usually pretty easy to find a workaround.
Werewolf and Nightfighter Robocop duel! (later becoming friends, of course)
 
In terms of accessories, Werewolf is armed with a two-bladed sword and defends himself with a shield in the shape of a buzzsaw blade. The build does a nice job of making it look like his gigantic paw is holding the sword, but it’s actually connected by balljoint. The shield can also be mounted on his back, via a hole.

The balljoint holding the sword.

The shield, mounted on Werewolf's back
 
My only real complaint is that it would be nice if Werewolf came with an alternate head, too. His angry face is great, but it would be nice to have something a little more neutral too. Still, on the whole there’s a lot more to like than there is to dislike.
Big Werewolf meets minifig Werewolf
 
Overall
Although I don’t think I’ll pick up any of the regular Legends of Chima sets, I’m very impressed with the Ultrabuild figures. I could see myself picking up a couple more of these guys, particularly the Raven and Crocodile. Alternatively, I could also see myself getting a Hero Factory mech or two and staging Pacific Rim-style battles in the loungeroom. There could be some good photo ops in that.
But for the time being, Werewolf is something of an anomaly in my collection – though as you’ll see below, he does look good attacking the treehouse.
Attack taking place in kid's imagination only, of course. The mess this would leave in real life would be difficult to explain to the kid's parents
Overall, I’m giving Werewolf an 8/10.
The set in its entirety
 

No comments:

Post a Comment