Tuesday 18 August 2015

POP! Heroes: White Lantern Wonder Woman (glow version)

Company: Funko
Series: POP! Heroes
Year: 2015

A couple of months back I picked up White Lantern Batman, and I mentioned that Wonder Woman was on the way too. Initially I thought it was an SDCC exclusive (and it was certainly selling at exclusive prices for a few weeks there on eBay) but it’s now received a wider release.

As might be expected, she re-uses the same mould as the original release. If you read my earlier review, you’ll know this a little bit mixed. When compared to Black Widow or Scarlet Witch, she’s a little underwhelming. Add to this that her neck/head connection isn’t quite properly assembled, and it’s even more irritating. I ordered this online and so I didn’t get to pick it out myself – well, that’s the risk you take, I guess. With that said, just today I saw three more instore and they all had the same issue. Curiously, the non-glow ones don't have this problem. 

There are two versions available – regular and glow in the dark. I went with glow in the dark, as with White Lantern Batman, one looked pretty much like the other. The difference is a little more pronounced with this figure. Though I like the glow, I wonder (lol) if I should have actually gone with the regular version. No, actually, I’m happy with my decision. It’s a rare day that glow isn’t the best option. Her leotard, boots, tiara and bracelets all glow quite well, though to varying degrees of brightness. 
Paint is not as bad as the original, but it is very sloppy on the body. Flesh-toned paint is splashed around inappropriately, and there are splashes of silver too. I was able to scrape some of it off, but managed to damage the White Lantern logo in the process…only slightly, but this is why I generally prefer to see how POPs look in person before I buy them.             

Much like White Lantern Batman, White Lantern Wonder Woman is not essential. The design is fun, and the control art on the box looks good – but it’s an old figure that is showing its age. Given her prominence in the DC Universe, Wonder Woman needs an updated and improved figure. A Lynda Carter one would be good, but I suspect we’ll see a Gal Gadot first to coincide with the imminent release of Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Till then, I'd suggest the regular or New 52 version instead, but it's a fun addition to the Rainbow Lantern POPs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment