Sunday 12 October 2014

Lego Minifigures -- The Wizard (series 12)

So here we have my first figure from the just-released (in Australia) Minifigures Series 12 – the Wizard!  

If you’d asked most people of the last few generations to draw a wizard, I think odds are strong that they would have drawn something just like this – a guy with a long grey beard, a blue or purple robe and a conical hat, all decorated with stars and crescent moons. This popular image has probably been altered a bit by the success of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films, but still lingers nonetheless. I don’t know where this image originated, but I would venture a guess that the stars and moons were derived from astrological imagery. But if anyone can fill me in on with more specific information, I’d much appreciate it. 
He comes with one accessory – a staff, made up of three separate pieces – a spyglass, a rod piece and a blue gem. The combination of the pieces works really well to provide the effect of some kind of arcane artefact, no doubt passed down over many generations of wizards.  
As befits his wizardly status, he’s also got a purple cape, made up of two separate pieces to create the raised collar. This cape is cool, but also my main complaint about the figure too – metallic print is notoriously fragile, and I can see it wearing off. I think Lego might have been better simply leaving it plain.

Lego has released quite a number of wizards over the years, primarily through its various iterations of Castle and more recently through Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings sets too. But they haven’t previously done one like this – the archetypal wizard. With the exception of the print on the cape, I’m really happy with this figure -- it was my big "get" from this series. In fact, Series 12 is looking great as a whole. It's the first series I've wanted all the characters from in quite a while. Look for more reviews to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment