Monday 29 January 2018

Minifigure Mini-Review #4 – Tartan Batman


Like most white Australians, my family background is closely tied to the British Isles. As a result, Scotland occupies a special (read: heavily romanticised) place in my heart. So when I found out there was effectively a Highlander Batman, I decided I had to add it to the collection.

Batman is dressed how we popularly imagine the people of the Scottish Highlands dressed in ye olden times. He’s wearing belted plaid, which he’s paired with tartan trousers. He’s also wearing a torc around his neck, which is a nice little touch. His cape and cowl are also rendered in brown, rather than black. Naturally, he’s armed with a claymore, though you would assume this be in contravention of Batman’s usual “no killing” rule.  

Though I have no doubt there are questions to be raised about the historical accuracy of the figure*, in truth he’d be a pretty great base for making Highlander Warrior custom. You’d just need to paint over the bat sigil and substitute in a different head. You could even trim the cape to fit if you wanted.

Now if you want to own him, Tartan Batman was originally packed in with a kid’s activity book called Chaos in Gotham City, which was one of the many merchandise tie-ins for The Lego Batman Movie. I have no idea what happened to my copy; I assume I just threw it in the recycling after getting this minifigure. It was published about a year ago, so you may still be able to get a copy – but I haven’t seen it on Sydney shelves in a while.

The face of a man who could not find a Tartan Batman.
Or severe constipation. Perhaps both.
If you missed out, don’t worry too much though. Tartan Batman is a fun figure, but he’s certainly not essential. As someone with a smattering of Scottish background, he’s pretty much been bought for sentimental reasons.



*Pro tip if you’re ever visiting Scotland – most of the locals weren’t really that fussed on Braveheart. If you would like some more advice on what to not say to Scots, you can click here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment