Wednesday 24 January 2018

The Lupine Record Club -- Part 1

So every now and then, I post an actual Lupine Book Club, in the form of the Sunday Afternoon Reader. At the suggestion of a friend, I’ve decided it’s time to do some to expand it to albums, and hopefully also to movies. It won’t usually be anything current, but it’ll give you an idea of what I’ve been up to – and hopefully also turn you on to some stuff you might not have otherwise checked out. So here we go with the first instalment of the Lupine Record Club!

Tangerine Dream – Phaedra

Those of you who know me in person or via any of my various social media channels, know that I love metal. But I actually listen to quite a bit of early electronic and ambient music too, particularly while I’m working on writing projects. I’m still a relative newbie to the field, but you can’t venture very far into ambient music without running across Tangerine Dream.

Phaedra is routinely touted as one of their best albums, and of the TD albums I’ve listened to (there are lots) it’s certainly my favourite. It’s also a good litmus test to determine whether you’ll enjoy their stuff or not. Droning early-70s synths, soundscapes rather than songs – it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but for me it’s fantastic music for zoning out and writing.  

Standout track: Phaedra


Napalm Death – Live Corruption

Recorded in 1990 shortly after vocalist Barney Greenway had joined the band, this is an absolutely crushing live set from Napalm Death. These guys are grind and metal legends for a reason – I was lucky enough to catch them in Sydney last year at the Factory Theatre, and they are still destroying a good chunk of the competition.

This record also serves as something of a “Best Of” for Napalm Death’s early years – it’s well worth tracking down, particularly if you haven’t listened to much of their stuff and you want a convenient starting point.

Standout track: Rise Above


Christopher Young – Hellraiser (soundtrack)

Much like ambient music, I find soundtracks useful for listening when I’m writing. And this particular beauty has been getting a thorough workout as I go through edits on my upcoming horror novella.

Originally intended to be scored by the experimental industrial group Coil, the powers that be declared that Hellraiser needed a slightly more…commercial…soundtrack. Thus, Christopher Young was recruited. And boy, did he do a great job – it’s a wonderfully ominous score, which matches the disturbing visuals of the film perfectly.

Standout track: Hellbound Heart  


Judas Priest – Unleashed in the East

Two live albums in one entry? WHOA!

Judas Priest’s continuing influence on heavy metal is almost unparalleled, and when you go back and listen to their early stuff it’s really not hard to understand why.

Now while there’s certainly some debate about how “live” this record actually is, there’s no doubt it’s a banger. Get the expanded edition if you can, as it also includes some bonus live tracks from the Killing Machine album.

Standout track: The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)


No comments:

Post a Comment